Going Bananas

If we were having coffee, I would ask you if you have noticed lately that bananas go bad within a couple of days of coming home from the store? I end up with more bad ones than good ones. I usually eat one banana a day but still can’t eat them fast enough.

Overripe bananas

I have started to buy green bananas in hope that they will last longer. We bought a bunch today and I noticed they had a plastic wrap around the stem. I have heard that the plastic is there to keep the bananas from ripening too quickly. I hope it works.

Since Spring arrived, I have seen more roadrunners around the neighborhood. One visited our backyard the other day. I was able to get a photo through our patio door of the roadrunner on the wall. I look forward to getting more visits.

Roadrunner on neighbor’s wall

Even though it’s Spring the temperatures have been high this week. It’s supposed to get to 100 degrees F this afternoon. Cooler weather is forecast for next week, mid-seventies to mid-eighties.

Weekend Coffee Share is hosted by Natalie at Natalie the Explorer.

22 thoughts on “Going Bananas

1. M. Oniker

I have no idea if this actually works, or if I have just convinced myself that it does, but… try keeping the bananas in the fridge. The skins will turn ugly black fast, but it seems like the fruit keeps longer. And yeah, sadly, buying only a few at a time. Did they used to last longer? Is time speeding up? Is this some kind of consipiracy of Big Banana to get us to buy more?

Liked by 1 person

2. Melis

Yep, I’ve noticed bananas going brown rather quickly here, too. I’m the only one who eats them in the house, though, so I’m just eating more of them to keep up 😉

Lovely roadrunner shot! We saw one a few mornings ago as we drove through the village and it’s healthy beauty made both my daughter and I very happy.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Liked by 1 person

3. Susanne

Bananas are tricky fruits! We buy them now and then and have been lucky so far, or it could be because I’m home most of the time and eat 1-2 daily. I wonder also if it has to with them being ecologically grown or not? Not sure.

Liked by 1 person

4. Gary A Wilson

Hi Deborah –
    I’ve done some rough experimentation with keeping the banana stems well sealed and believe it does work, but is annoying to do. For various reasons we don’t use many. My wife hates them so the daughter and I get them all to ourselves and she’s capricious about wanting them while I should have very few because they’re very hard on blood sugar levels (who knew – right?)
    I think you got a great shot of that road runner – so well contrasted by the building behind him.
    When I was young, Warner Bros. had me believing that road runners looked more like flying giraffes than what they actually look like. Thus I learned that cartoons were not helpful for nature research. . .
    Have a great week my friend.

Liked by 1 person

1. Deborah Drucker Post author

So far, the plastic does seem to be working. The bananas are ripening more slowly. Thanks for the complement on the photo. I think it was a lucky shot because the roadrunners don’t stay still for long especially if they know I am looking at them. It has been great to see them in real time. Have a great week too, Gary.

Liked by 1 person

5. Julie

I heard the plastic slows down the ripening process. Also I try to keep bananas out of enclosed areas to not have it ripen to quickly and away. Also learned to keep away bananas away from onions and other ethylene-producing fruit and vegetables, which is most of fruits and veggies anyways because it would cause premature ripening. I do this trick with avocados where I keep it next to onions because I always end up getting young avocadoes from the store not being able to eat them sooner.

Liked by 1 person

6. JoAnna

I thought it was just us! I’ve been putting the very ripe bananas in the frig and using them for smoothies and these cookies/scones I make with bananas, peanut butter, and oatmeal. Sometimes I add a little oat milk or walnuts. You could also add raisins. They’re healthy and yummy.

Liked by 1 person

7. Kirstin

Fun seeing the roadrunner on the wall! . They’d be fun to see. I don’t know if I’ve noticed that about bananas. We eat them fairly quick or I just break them up and freeze them for smoothies.

Liked by 1 person

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s