I spotted this funny and very cute cartoon on my Google+ page this morning. I follow Hyperallergic and get their newsletter/email. I am not a “morning person.” One great thing about not having to conform to a regular work schedule of 9-5 or 7-3 or 8-4, which have been like some of my schedules in my past work life, is that I do not have to get up early. My income has decreased quite a bit but the perks have increased exponentially.
Let me list a few.
- I get to sleep in, if my husband does not wake me up. He is still an early riser.
- I can enter the fully awake state at my own pace. I normally become active gradually if left to my natural inclinations.
- I have the freedom to browse websites and newsletters like Hyperallergic at my leisure. This is where I get some of my inspiration to write on issues I feel strongly about or ones that I am passionate about.
- I can be more like the real me. Not forced to conform to the needs and desires of an employer.
- I can choose what I want to devote my energies to. Like writing, volunteer literacy tutoring, working with special needs kids, staring out the patio window contemplating nature or letting my mind wander.
I have discovered that not being chained to a full-time work schedule is worth more than all the gold I used to get paid to do it.
So there are things to look forward to when you are out of the mainstream workforce after all.